How to pass HIPAA security compliance audit
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) standards for the security of electronic health information was effective since 21 April 2005, The Security Rule complements the Privacy Rule. While the Privacy Rule pertains to all Protected Health Information (PHI) including paper and electronic, the Security Rule deals specifically with Electronic Protected Health Information (EPHI).
It lays out three types of security safeguards required for compliance:
- Physical, and
Here is simple step for comply to HIPAA audit
- Understand why computer security is important
- Make certain your colleagues and staff take security as seriously as you do
- Catalog all the information system components that interact with protected health information in your office.
- Prepare for disaster before it occurs.
- Make sure your network and communications safeguards are intact and robust.
- Be certain that you have anti-virus software and keep it up to date
- Understand what encryption will do and when it is necessary
- Consider chains of trust and your business relationships
- Demand that your vendors fully understand the HIPAA security standards
- Start with a plan - and the end - in mind.
American Academy of Family Physicians.